Thursday, June 14, 2012

Writing Prep 2 - Let passion choose your project

Writers have lots of ideas, so it's not surprising that many writers work on many projects at once.  This can demolish your productivity. How can you become more focused?

One approach is to use criteria. Creating your own scoring system is best, but here are a few to consider:
·      High concept – Whatever you write will need to catch the attention of editors, marketers and readers. So if you have a project that stands out as different and generates excitement in just a few words, you might push it to the top of your list.
·      Expertise – A project in a sweet spot where you have a good reputation, either from past sales or from education and experience, is likely to draw time, money and attention. And if you have a platform, such as a blog or newspaper column with many readers, even better.
·      Passion – If you get excited, engaged and interested, chances are that the words will tumble out and your enthusiasm will infect your readers. Why bother if you don’t care?
·      You’re on deadline – This may be the only thing that trumps passion. Your reputation and your career may be bigger than a single project. So meet your commitments.
If you are as nerdy as I am, you may create spreadsheets and scorecards and subsets of the above and complicated mechanisms for assigning and adding up points. As long as this 1) locks in your commitment to a project to work on, and 2) does not get in the way of the actual writing, go for it. But do your scoring the day before you settle into the project. Don’t start the day figuring out what to write.
How do you prioritize your work and dedicate yourself to a project?


5 comments:

  1. All great suggestions, Peter. I generally dive into one project and stick with it until it's finished or I get totally jammed up and need some space. Only then will I allow myself to move on to another project or take a short break from it to regain some perspective. If other ideas start crowding in on my thoughts, I will allow myself to write a first chapter or two just so I can get it out of my head and so that I don't lose the thread of what could be the next great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good practice, Paula. You've provided a terrific example for those who are... um... more disciplined than this blogger. Thanks.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a spreadsheet geek, I love the idea of setting up a spreadsheet. I've never done one for writing projects however. Never had to prioritize them I guess. Most always had a deadline, except the blog. Which was only a personal deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, Di. It sounds like you already have some good habits. I hope you find others to integrate into your routine.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not good habits in my fiction and current writing, Peter. I guess I should set one up and figure out what I need to put as column headers.

    ReplyDelete